Sunday, February 20, 2011

Moving toward happy

My girlfriend, Terry is writing about "Moving Toward Happy".  Catchy phrase ... and it got stuck in my head as I watched the people of Aspen walk around town.


I love the idea of happiness!  What makes me happy?  
  • Seeing other people smile.
  • Good food.
  • Simplicity.
  • Honesty.
  • A new insight.
  • Adventures.
  • Expressions of love.
  • Contemplating life.
  • Sharing my light.
  • Dreams that come true.
  • A sassy new dress.
  • Holding hands.
  • Listening to someone's story.
I used to think that finding solutions to the world's problems was my life's purpose.  Not only finding them, but to fight against things like homelessness, war, hunger, and lying, cheating ways of government. 


Yesterday I had an intriguing conversation with man from Kenya.  He is an Registered Nurse at a rehabilitation center where I also work and we had the chance to talk for a bit.  He spoke of life before democracy, the transition, and life after (now) in his homeland.  The sanctions from the "industrialized nations" forced them to make this change and it has caused separation among his family and his neighbors due to the competitive nature of capitalization.  Just so you hear this correctly ... he is not opposed to democratic government.  He explained to me that the Kenyan culture was not ready for such a rapid philosophical, environmental, emotional shift.  But his family and many others has been ripped apart.


What are we doing?  And why?  In the name of fear, power and greed?  It makes me want to vomit sometimes.  Pretty soon we, the people of this planet, will all be the same without the beauty of cultural diversity.  


Today my purpose is to see the good in you and in me; to be the whole person that I am in spite of all the external shit while sending as much love into the world.  If we all choose this direction, then we will all move toward happy, and embrace peace, love, and understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.